On Friday, Amy and I headed up to HY and were so happy to see the building re-opened with a new paved floor. The children had returned to the center and appeared happy to be back after a few days away. We were thrilled to be back as well.
After an afternoon at HY, I joined Erin and Emily for an early dinner before leaving for the bus station. We had decided to travel to Arequipa, a town 10 hours west of Cusco, for the weekend, and were off to catch our bus at 8:00 that evening. I was pleased to see that this bus was even better than the one I had taken to Puno, complete with leather recliners on the ground floor, a stewardess, meals, and “in-flight” entertainment of an American movie, dubbed in Spanish, with English subtitles. Go figure.
Although the bus seemed to have quite a few amenities, none of us slept exceptionally well, given the poor temperature control and the colds that had overtaken all of us the week prior. We arrived in Arequipa around 5:00 a.m., where we were freezing and a bit disoriented. Fortunately, a woman from the travel agency coordinating our weekend had come to meet us, and she managed to find us in the sea of other travelers. We ultimately wound up in the travel agency around 5:30 a.m., waiting for the sun to come up and for the clock to tick to 8:30. Emily wasn’t feeling so great, so Erin and I ventured out to the Plaza de Armas for a stroll and some breakfast around 7:00 a.m. Despite our lack of sleep, we had a great breakfast, with a pleasant view of the square, and arrived back at the agency in time to collect Emily and our bags for our trip.
At 8:30 a.m., a bus rolled up outside to take us to the Colca Canyon. The Colca Canyon is 3400M deep, second in the world only to the Cotahuasi Canyon, also located in Peru. Apparently, the Colca Canyon is two times deeper than the Grand Canyon, although I must admit that I’ve never seen that in person.
Our drive to Chivay, the town that serves as the gateway to the Colca Canyon, took us past the three large volcanoes that border Arequipa. We also drove higher and higher, up to a pass that was over 5,000M (almost as tall as the summit of Kili!). By the time we reached 4500M, the landscape had turned quite barren, with little vegetation. We drove past herds of alpacas, llamas, and vicunas, but admittedly everyone started to doze off from the altitude the further we progressed. Once through the pass, we descended quickly into the valley, where the little town of Chivay was situated.
That afternoon, our group headed to the local hot springs for a dip. I’ve passed up hot springs in New Zealand because I couldn’t quite stomach the sulfur smell, but I was looking forward to a dip in really warm water after the past few weeks of low pressure showers and really frigid nighttime temperatures. The hot springs were actually clean pools of water on the edge of the river in Chivay, and Erin, Emily, and I celebrated an end to a good day by ordering what turned out to be really bad champagne. Afterwards, we had some warm-ish showers at our hostel and walked to the main square, where we settled on the local irish pub for dinner. From what I understand, it’s a good thing that I didn’t see the kitchen BEFORE I consumed my supper.
We woke the next morning for an early breakfast and joined our group for the drive out to the Canyon. First, we stopped in a small town known for its colonial architecture and intricately designed church. We then continued on our drive, which took us along a cliff-dropping road that peered into the deep valley below.
Although I had intended, the night before, to stay awake upon arrival in Cusco, I quickly decided at 5:30 a.m. to head straight back to bed. I was not feeling great, and only decided to venture to the school later that morning in order to tell my tandem partners that I really wasn’t up for thinking, or speaking, Spanish. I also really wanted to have a skype chat with Ben, but given our schedules, I was only able to speak with him via phone. It was certainly a difficult day for both of us to be apart, but I’m thankful that we were at least able to talk for a few minutes, despite the distance. I’m also grateful to our families and friends for the skype chats and emails that were sent that day.
I headed directly home and back to bed, to hopefully recover in time for the Inca Trail later that week. Emily and Erin joined me for a delicious dinner at my favorite local restaurant that evening, and even gifted me a beautiful silver bracelet in honor of our anniversary. You two are the best, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your thoughtfulness. Thanks for helping to make the day a great one.
I woke on Thursday morning around 5:00 a.m. to finish packing my bag for the Inca Trail. Emily and Erin were headed out on the Lares Trek, another four day hike in the Sacred Valley, and we waved farewell with promises to see each other on Sunday morning at Machu Pichu. At 7:00 a.m., a bus pulled up in our neighborhood, and I hopped on board with my fellow trekkers, in addition to our guides and porters. I was a little apprehensive about who would be in our group, but was quickly put at ease by a friendly Canadian and two Aussies that I had started to chat with along the way.
We drove about an hour and a half to Ollentaytambo, a small town you may remember from my previous posts. There, we were able to stock up on any last minute supplies (i.e., toilet paper), buy walking sticks, and have one last meal before the hike. After Ollentaytambo, our bus drove to KM 82, which is the most popular drop off spot for the commencement of the Inca Trail.
As soon as we climbed off the bus, the porters went to work tying up and securing all of our packs and the other supplies for the next four days. A few minutes later, our guide Maria led us to the first of four check points, where we presented our passports and our tickets for the Inca Trail. The Inca Trail is the only tourist trek that ends in Machu Pichu and is reputedly the route that the priests and other important Incas used to travel to the ancient town. Machu Pichu is regarded as the Lost City of the Incas, as it was kept secret from the invading Spaniards in the 16th century. Only when Hiram Bingham, a Yale archeologist, ventured out to find another lost city in 1914, was MP rediscovered.
Prior to my briefing in Cusco, I had learned that I was quite lucky to have obtained a permit to hike the Inca Trail. A few years ago, the Peruvian government (thankfully) established permit limitations, allowing only 500 people a day (including guides and porters) to hike. I applied for my permit on February 25, and the earliest date still available was June 5. I understand from others that the entire summer permits were sold out by mid-March. The hike is clearly quite popular.
Our group had an enjoyable, restful afternoon, a fun tea time reflecting on the day’s accomplishments, and another outstanding meal from our cook. Because this camp was the highest elevation of all of the camps (3600M), we were all nervous about the cold setting in. Some of the others used my hot-water-bottle trick as well, as we settled into our tents early in an attempt to fall asleep before the temperatures dropped too dramatically.
The trail took us onward to another outstanding Inca ruin site that was used as a marketplace between the first ruins on the trail (that we passed day 1), and ruins further downhill in the jungle. Although I had seen a lot of architectural sites, my interest was not waning – rather, I found the Incan culture to be more and more fascinating and impressive. Their engineering, intellect, and planning, as evidenced at each stop along the way, makes me question what genius our generation is leaving behind that will last for 500+ years.
Unfortunately, a bit of bad fortune crossed my path…I was so stunned at the Salkantay peak, that I didn’t pay proper attention to securing my camera. As I was walking away from taking a snapshot, I “missed” my pocket and managed to drop my camera on the trail. The screen shattered, and the viewfinder no longer would open/close properly; I couldn’t take any more pictures. I was devastated – as this camera has been with me for the past three years. And what are the odds I’d lose it TWO weeks before the end of my trip, much less ONE DAY before seeing Machu Pichu?? Fortunately for me, we arrived at the next, and final, pass soon after, where Annabel and Steve generously offered to take photos for me on their camera. We also had the best view yet of the valley below, which was a humbling way to remember what was really important that day. Because Steve had hiked the Inca Trail a few years prior, he pointed out the back of Machu Pichu mountain and the area to which we would be hiking the next day.
View from Wanyu Pichu
Back in town, I met the rest of my group at a local restaurant in Aguas Calientes (the closest town to MP), where I eagerly ordered an ice cold coke and a pizza. I waved farewell to several of our group members and enjoyed relaxing after four strenuous days. Annabel and Steve set off for the hot springs, while I ran to check my email and send Ben a note that I made it. I did some great shopping at the local market, before meeting back up with the others for our 6:00 p.m. train home.
The trip home was exhausting, as we took a train two hours back to Ollentaytambo. I was seated in a different car from Annabel and Steve and was hoping the seats around me would be empty. Unfortunately, every seat was taken with other backpackers, but those seated around me were peaceful and quiet, allowing me to listen to music and reflect on the past few days. Upon arrival in Ollentaytambo, we were escorted onto a bus, where I had the poor fortune of sitting next to a REALLY smelly man for the next two hour drive to Cusco. The ride was uncomfortable, and I was never so happy to finally end up back at Yoni’s house, where I crashed and fell into the best sleep I had in days.
On Monday, I woke up early in order to pack, as I was leaving Peru that afternoon. When I first arrived in Cusco early last month, I had a hard time settling down into one place. The thought of staying somewhere for three weeks seemed like an eternity, as I had essentially been bouncing around for the better part of five months. But Cusco had become a home, and I had enjoyed the ability to unpack my bag and settle in, even if just for a few days. Packing took longer than I had hoped on Monday, but I finally set out mid-morning to finish up some last minute loose ends for my Brazilian visa.
I met Annabel and Steve at Jack’s cafĂ© that morning for much-appreciated good coffee and delicious pancakes. They were so kind as to bring their camera with them so that I could download their photos from the day before. Annabel and I talked about how it all seemed like a dream – that we couldn’t believe just the day before we had seen Machu Pichu. It didn’t seem real that I had just completed the Inca Trail and that I was leaving Cusco, but I was also ready to move on to the last two weeks of my travels. I waved good bye to Steve and Annabel afterwards and was really so sad to say goodbye. They were wonderful travel companions on my trek, and I wish them the best of luck on the next few months of their trip.
I finished up my stay in Cusco by running the last couple of errands, enjoying one final lunch at Yoni’s, and cramming last minute souvenir purchases into my bag. Yoni, Wendy, Beth, Erin, and Emily walked me out to the curb and helped load my heavy-laden bags into the car. It had been an outstanding few weeks with the ladies of my house. I will forever remember the five of them standing at the back of the car, waving goodbye as I drove away. Thank you so much to all of you for being a wonderful family to me in Cusco.
The rest of Monday was fairly uneventful – I sat next to an annoying local tour guide on my flight to Lima. Despite my attempts to just look out the window and soak up the last part of Peru, he just kept talking and talking and talking. Just a hint for all of you travelers out there – next time someone next to you has in their IPOD, don’t tap them on their shoulder repeatedly to ask them their opinion about Peruvian guinea pigs. Oh, and don’t wake them up to have them contribute spare change to a random cause. Oh, and don’t keep talking!!! Normally, I would be quite polite and make conversation, but I was just NOT in the mood.
I had a long layover (9+ hours) in Lima, but I just wasn’t in the spirit to try and travel in and out of the massive city. After helping a fellow around-the-world traveler with my broken Spanish, I ended up in a great conversation with Aussie Miles about his RTW trip with his girlfriend. We talked for a couple of hours, after which he headed off on his flight to England (where his girlfriend was waiting from a different flight), and I headed off to the local lounge. I figured it was worth the extra few dollars to have free food and a nice place to rest for a couple of hours. I finally hopped on my flight to Buenos Aires around 1:00 a.m., slept solidly on the four hour flight to Argentina, and woke up a big groggy in a new country.
After a waiting in a long customs line, claiming my baggage, withdrawing cash, and finding my way to a local taxi company, I sat in Chicago-style traffic into downtown and finally wound up at my hotel around 9:30 a.m. I dropped my bag and headed immediately to the local Brazilian embassy, as I had to obtain a visa prior to traveling onward. After a difficult inquisition, my visa application was finally accepted, and I was sent to another office a few blocks away to pay my bill. I had claimed number 4005 to be serviced, and unfortunately they were only on number 2036! I finally determined that I had just used the wrong machine, was given a more appropriate number, paid my ridiculously high visa application fee, and headed back to the hotel.
I don’t have much to report for the rest of the day, as I had been looking forward to a day of total relaxation since the week prior. I had actually booked in at a Marriott, where I took the hottest, longest shower I had in weeks and rested from my short night flight. It was a perfect, relaxing day.
Yesterday morning, my dear friend Paige arrived in Buenos Aires. When I first asked Paige last fall if she would come and meet me for a couple of weeks, she immediately accepted without hesitation. Paige and I had met months before starting school at UT in 1997, and we’ve shared heaps of good memories. After traveling with Paige in Europe during summer of 1999, I was convinced she was the best travel friend I’d ever find. So, I was thrilled to spend my last two weeks with her during our tour of Argentina and Brazil.
I’m going to save my updates for this portion of my trip until the end, but rest assured that we’ve already packed in a lot on our first day here. We head out to wine country this evening for the next few days, prior to returning to B.A. for an onward ferry to Uruguay. Can’t wait for these upcoming two weeks.
On another note, you may remember me mentioning in an earlier Peruvian post that Tara, Cheryl, and I visited a home tended by local Felipe during our trip to the Manu rainforest. As we were told, an American professor and his family visit the home during their summers for research. WELL, ironically, it turns out that this family is related to a co-worker and friend of mine from Deloitte. I’ve received kind notes from both Allison and her cousin, who is headed down to Peru in a couple of short weeks. They welcome visitors and have also established a website for anyone interested in learning more about Manu…http://www.projectbuenavista.com/. It’s a small world, afterall!
And finally, a HUGE thank you to all of you who remembered our anniversary and who sent us such kind notes. It was certainly a difficult day to be separated, but having such great friends and so much support from all of you made it much easier. Plus, now we’re only 13 days away from Greece!
No comments:
Post a Comment